Friday 4 July 2008

Salsa eggs, Roe cakes

Breakfast

For the kids: fruit smoothie; peanut butter on toast
For me: what was left of the fruit smoothie (darn kids!); apple

Lunch

Salsa eggs
Butter a small oven proof dish. Spread some salsa over the bottom then break in an egg or two. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake until the eggs are done to your liking. I like to do mine until they eggs are still very runny and then stir it all up. The salsa cooks the eggs while it cools down to eating temperature. You can also do this in the microwave, but I don't think it is as nice.

Dinner

Roe cakes with steamed cabbage and asparagus

Roe cakes
3 or 4 medium potatoes (mashing ones are best but I used new with skins on today)
1/2 a cods roe (probably about 250g), cooked *
1/4 cup sprouted wheat flour
1/2 onion, finely chopped and softened in butter
1 egg
1 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
fat for frying (I used lard)

Cook and mash the potatoes. Stir in the flour, onion and roe. Form into patties (might want to let it cool a bit first!), brush with egg and coat in breadcrumbs. Fry until brown and crispy.

*simmer the roe in the membrane in salted water with a splash of vinegar or lemon juice for about 15 minutes. Then remove the membrane and use.

These would have been really nice with tartar sauce had I got myself organised enough to make it! But I didn't so we had ketchup and sweet chilli sauce instead (I'm going to hide from the food police now....).


No comments: