Monday 21 July 2008

Bean chilli

Breakfast
Kids: cottage cheese and toast
Me: fruit smoothie

Lunch
We were out for lunch today

Dinner
Bean chili with quinoa and rice

Bean chili
I don't really have a recipe for this at all! The things that usually go in are tomatoes, beans (obviously), lentils, spices and oregano. Leeks are also very tasty in chili. I also regularly add some molasses or cocoa powder as well. I throw every thing in a pan, simmer and then add bit of what ever I have around until I'm happy.
When I am making beans I use a hot soak method, which I understand (from all-knowing Google) is the best method for reducing gassiness. The best method for removing phytates is apparently to soak at 140oF. But I am not messing about with a thermometer! I put my beans into a pan and cover them with plenty of water. I bring them to the boil and then turn off the heat. I leave them in the pan with the lid on to soak over night. When I want to cook them I drain and rinse them then put them back in the pan with fresh water. I boil them vigorously for about 10 minutes (this is especially important with kidney beans) then drain and rinse them again. Then I add either water or broth and cook them for a few hours until they are tender. There are a few steps to this method but it does make for digestible and tasty beans.

Rice and quinoa
1 cup long grain brown rice
2 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, beef - whichever you have)
1 cup quinoa

Soak the rice and quinoa (in separate bowls) overnight in water with a splash of vinegar. The rice doesn't matter too much - you can just use it as is but the quinoa does need soaking. Drain and rinse them both. Bring the stock to the boil in a pan that has a tight lid. Add the rice and turn the heat down as low as it will go. Cover it tightly - if the lids doesn't fit well then use some tin foil to help keep it sealed. Leave it covered and cooking on low for 25 minutes (if you didn't soak the rice give it an extra 5 minutes) . After that time take off the lid and add the quinoa. You may need to add a little more boiling stock or water if there is very little or no liquid left. Cover tightly again and continue to cook on very low for 10 minutes. After that time turn off the heat and leave the pan (sealed) to rest for 5 minutes. Then season to taste and enjoy!

No comments: