Friday 27 June 2008

Savory bread and butter pudding, asparagus with bacon and eggs

Breakfast

For the kids: toast and peanut butter; glass of raw goats milk; banana
For me: a smoothie. Same recipe as yesterday, minus the spice and with some mint leaves (4 or 5). Yum!

Lunch

For me: left over mushroom soup
For the kids: savoury bread and butter pudding and salad

Savoury bread and butter pudding
Makes enough for three kids
4-5 slices wholemeal bread (crusts removed if you can be bothered!), buttered
2-3 oz cheese, grated
2 eggs
1-2 cups milk, cream or a mixture
1 or 2 rashers of bacon, finely chopped (optional)

Butter an oven proof dish. Place half the bread in the dish and sprinkle over half the cheese and bacon. Cover with the other half of the bread and then add the rest of the cheese and bacon. Beat the eggs then add the milk and mix. Pour over the bread and leave for a minute or two to soak in. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or so, until the custard has set and the cheese is golden on top.

This is also great if you spread the buttered bread with marmite (or other yeast extract) as well.

Dinner

Asparagus with bacon and eggs
The 'big' kids were having a sleepover at my mums tonight so I only had myself to cook for in the evening.
For the baby: left overs from lunch; yogurt
For me: Asparagus with bacon and eggs. I cooked some asparagus on a griddle with butter and coconut oil. On top of that I chopped some bacon, grated some Parmesan (raw and organic of course!) and put a poached egg. It tasted delicious. The poached egg didn't go so well though - I have got the learn the tricks of that! I have only recently started liking eggs done any way
but fried so I haven't had much practice. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!




No comments: