Sunday 8 March 2009

Rice pudding for breakfast

The lady who writes this crock potting blog is a genius. Rice pudding is a great idea any time but waking up to it for breakfast on a Sunday morning? Fab.

1 oz butter
2 small apples, cores removed and chopped
3/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch each of nutmeg, ground cloves and salt
3/4 cup short grain brown rice (soaked and drained if you remember)
1-2 tbsp honey
2 1/2 cups milk (or apple juice or a mix)

Place the ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 6 is better but I couldn't find my plug-in timer so it went for 8 and was fine - just caught a little on one side. I used 1 tbsp of honey and this was plenty sweet for us. You can always add more once it is cooked if you like it sweeter.

I bet coconut milk would be divine in this but I haven't tried it yet.

*edit to add - yes coconut milk in this is really really good! Might even be better than the traditional rice pudding with dairy milk..... *

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! This sounds yummy. I've been needing alternate breakfast ideas.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I made it with a few more apples and coconut oil instead of butter and coconut milk. My daughter is dairy allergic. It was divine. Just what I was wanting in craving my grandmother's rice pudding. Next time I might make meringue for the top. :)

Ruth said...

Never tried meringue with rice pudding but it sounds delicious. I'm going to try this out with coconut milk this week - glad it went down well in your house!