Tuesday 24 February 2009

Pancakes!

It's Shrove Tuesday so I have been dusting off my pancake making skills. Usually I make griddle scones instead of pancakes for the kids as for some reason they intimidate me. But this year I seem to have cracked it! I managed to flip them all too. (note - pancakes are best flipped in the air after both sides are cooked. That way they flip easier and if it goes wrong the pancake isn't ruined. But your kids still think you are amazingly talented!)

250g flour (I use wholemeal, but white or a blend makes for lighter pancakes)
2 eggs
600ml buttermilk (or watered down yogurt)
Pinch salt
Lard for frying

Blend the flour with the buttermilk and leave in a warm place overnight. About half an hour (at least) before you want to make the pancakes, add the egg and salt. This is easiest to do in a food processor as you don't want any lumps. The batter should be runny but thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (dip a spoon into the batter, take it out and turning it upside down. Some batter should coat the back of the bowl if it is right). You can always tweak the flour or milk to get the right consistency when the batter is made. Put it to rest in the fridge.
When you are ready, fry up the pancakes! If you need more batter (and I have yet to manage to make enough to satisfy my kids!) then make it up with milk - it works fine even without chilling in the fridge, just not quite as well.

These are really good with savoury as well as sweet fillings. Leftover meat in a white sauce is a favorite with the kids. I love mushrooms and bacon in mine.

No comments: